Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fun Activities for Teaching Music Alphabet on the Keys

2 Black Key Doghouse

I usually introduce the white keys CDE (below the 2 black key groups)first.
First you say "Hey Diddle Diddle the D's in the middle" and have them find all of the D's on the piano in the middle of the 2 black keys. Then have them sing the music alphabet to discover what comes before and after D (C & E).  
My teacher taught me to find the CDE keys by calling the 2 black keys the "doghouse." The "D" for dog is in the middle. The "C" cat and "E" elephant live on each side.

3 Black Key GArage

Next I teach "F & B outside the 3" (3 black key groups) and have them find all the F's and B's on the piano.
My teacher taught me to find the GA keys by calling the 3 black keys the "GArage." It has car G & car A parked inside the "GArage." This is only effective if your child is reading fluently and can associate GA with garage.

Music Alphabet Games

Dnet Layton's free Piano Candyland cards make learning the music alphabet fun and memorable.
I transformed my older version of Candyland and chose the following spots for the pink squares: 
Piano for Plumpy, 
Bass Clef for Mr. Mint (because the bass clef resembles a candy cane and its lower on the board), Mezzo Forte for Jolly, 
Forte for Gramma Nut,
Double Bar Line for Princess Lolly 
Treble Clef for Queen Frostine (because the Faber Piano Adventures books introduce say The Queen Treble Clef has a fine swirly dress and she plays High notes on the keys). 

 I love this game because my younger kids can play with the "Keyboard cards" while my older kids are challenged by using the "Staff cards."

All of these formerly free games are now available for purchase on Susan Paradis's amazing piano site. I love her creative resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment